Small towns! Jen (Chicago) and Sarah (NYC) do not understand them IRL, but we are talking about them in fiction this week! Listen to us talk about their genesis, what they represent, and why Romancelandia can’t get enough of them. Books by Sierra Simone, Vanessa North & Alisha Rai!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in your favorite podcasting platform — and while you’re there, please leave us a like or a review. Also — if you have a romance loving friend, please let them know that we don’t just talk about vampires & valkyries, and maybe they’d like us, too?
In fact — In two weeks, we’re not talking about vampires at all! (Except we kind of are) The Game Makers series read-along begins with Kresley’s first contemporary, The Professional. Get ready for Wroth Brother fanfic that Kresley herself refers to as “way sexier” then IAD. Get The Professional at Amazon, B&N, Apple Books, Kobo, or from your local Indie.
- In case you missed the Signet Regency era of romance.
- More about the Regency period, and Sarah would like you to know that she knows “a bunch of people” didn’t come between George IV & Victoria. One person did: William IV.
- Everyone's favorite Darcy and Darcy-esque figure.
- Jane Austen and her world, Georgette Heyer and hers.
- Cleveland DOES rock, and yes the Cuyahoga River caught on fire, but that whole story is kind of a myth.
- Y'all know who Jen means when she talks about Kelly, right?
- The word Jen was searching for when talking about small town romances was "revisionist."
- Maybe it wasn't "some Russian" who talked about the two stories.
- Colson Whitehead is amazing and Jen definitely recommends seeing him in person if you ever have the chance. You can read his post 9/11 essay at the New York Times.
- The Whiting Award
- All about how Americans live: urban, suburban, or rural.
- Nora Roberts was profiled in the New Yorker and talks about her favorite small town: Boonsboro.
- Farrah Rochon also writes a great series of small town romances.
- How WalMart changes small towns.
- As it turns out, there is not a Menage County, KS.
- Did you say RITA books?
- Jen's favorite cupcake place in Chicago is Sweet MandyB's.
- A Roller Derby glossary and some video tutorials for all your favorite moves. Stay safe, kids!
- Montagues & Capulets. Hatfields & McCoys. Chandlers & Kanes.
- The saddest discovery Jen made while working on this week's show notes is that Hot as Hades is no longer available as an eBook! Oh no!
- On Twitter, Bree Bridges of Kit Rocha asked people to reply with the size of a "small town."
- In Brooklyn, go to Butter and Scotch for cake, and based on this website, they have some very Romancelandia-friendly swag.
- Have you pre-ordered Brazen and the Beast yet?